Cannon’s Camp Ground United Methodist Church was established in 1789 by descendants of the John Cannon family, who had moved his family to this area from Culpepper, Virginia. The church at Cannon’s Camp Ground today is the result of years of growth from a small wooden church with a door in front, one on each side, and five windows to our present 485 seat sanctuary.
Although the first deed for our property named the church as McKindral’s Chapel, for most of its history our church has been known as Cannon’s Camp Ground. That is because camp meetings were held here for about 75 years during the 1800’s.
The present church building is the result of years of additions, remodeling, and rebuilding. The sanctuary we worship in today is our fifth sanctuary, completed in 2000. The church has education facilities and a Family Life Center (with gym) which was added in 1991. These facilities have undergone several renovations in order to meet the needs of the church family. Sitting on almost 25 acres, we have a covered shelter and BBQ building behind the church where the old brush arbor meetings once took place. Across the street, we have a family park with picnic tables and a 1/3 mile walking track and a softball field with concession stand and rest rooms.